.

Thursday, July 23, 2009

Website Of the Week



This week we begin a new feature called "Website of the Week." Since we spend all day every day scouring the internet for our show we decided to pass on some of the great stuff we find here on our website. This week we are featuring the Disney fan social networking site Disfriends! www.disfriends.com is a great place to make friend's, share Disney experience's, and Disney photo's. One of my favorite features is the periodic Journal theme posted on Disfriends main page. This week the topic was: "If you could have 1 Disney attraction in your backyard, what would it be? Would you share it with others, or keep it to yourself?" Below is my response to that question, or you can go to the DisFanreview page at Disfriends and read it there.



After a hard nights work, I get in my car and drive home at about 6am. While cruising down the boulevard I listen to Sorcerer Radio's Tiki Room Morning show. As I roll past the General Mills plant, the air is filled with the smell of Cocoa Puffs. I think to myself, "This is going to be a good morning." Just then I hear the familiar organs coming through my speakers. The sinister voice of Paul Fries say's "When hinges creak in doorless chambers..." I chuckle to myself... Because in mere moments I won't have to just hear the music from the Haunted Mansion, I will be surrounded by it. As I pull into my driveway I laugh out loud from pure excitement. Sitting there in my car, I can see the roof and part of the columns from the front of the Mansion, rising up from behind my two story home. Some of the neighbors were kind of upset when we had the Haunted Mansion put in our backyard, but it's kind of funny how people's reactions change when you tell them that they have an open invitation to come over and ride it, when ever they want. But this morning is pretty quiet and none of the neighborhood kids are waiting by my back gate like they were yesterday. I quickly gather my things, get out of the car and walk to my front door. I open the door, and I find a pleasant surprise; My entire family is still asleep! I will have the Mansion all to myself! So I dump my stuff on the couch and run to the kitchen and grab a banana and a glass of OJ. I quickly run towards the back sliding glass door. I pull open the curtains, and there it is: The Haunted Mansion in my backyard. I chuckle again, because I cannot believe my good fortune. I open the door and quietly step out. The door squeaks a bit as I close it behind me, but I don't think I woke anyone up. I walk through the gate and stroll up the empty walkway. There is no one at the door because I don't have the money to hire any "cast members." Thats okay. I walk into the stretching room and I am at peace, I enjoy the entire spectacle of it all, all by myself. I continue to chew on my banana as I board my Doom Buggy, and the ride begins... And Oh, does it begin! I am filled with the amazing feeling of having this epic attraction all to myself. Madame Leota seems to look directly at me on this strange and wonderful morning. As I pass the Ballroom and go into the attic I gulp down the last drink of OJ. I slowly float down into the graveyard and start dancing in my seat as I hear "Grim Grinning Ghosts." I am so happy I could explode. I sing along with the barber shop bust's and the creepy fun of the graveyard scenes bring a broad smile to my face. Everything is right with the world as the ride comes to it's hitch hiking end. I disembark my Doom Buggy and climb the escalator back up to my backyard. As I exit the Bride says, "Hurry Back..." I decide right then that I will "Hurry Back", I'll drop off my empty juice glass and banana peel on the patio table and run back to the entrance to ride my Haunted Mansion one more time. Then i'll go in the house and check my e-mail and stuff. As I run out into the morning air the desert sunrise shines directly into my eyes and for a brief moment I am blinded and a bit disoriented, then I open my eyes... I am still in my backyard, but the Mansion and all it's magic are gone. I look around hoping to find some trace of that wonderful dream, but alas, it wasn't there. I was alone standing behind my running lawn mower in a half mowed patch of grass. The afternoon sun must have been cooking my brain. I reflect for a moment on how strange the whole experience was, and I chalk it all up to a very vivid day dream... But then a weird thought occurred to me... How'd this empty orange juice glass and banana peel end up in my hands?

No comments: