.

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

MATISYAHU talks Disney Reggae Club


Two weeks ago I promised our pal Kurtis, the mastermind behind CoveringTheMouse.com(A website dedicated solely to Disney cover music),that I would write a short article about Matisyahu's cover of "Circle Of Life" on the new album Disney's Reggae Club. Now, anytime I write for another person's website, I try to put my very best foot forward. I always endeavor to deliver to that website's owner and audience a little something they didn't expect. So it was in that spirit that I contacted Matisyahu's management, in the hope that he might answer a few questions for our article. To my absolute surprise, he said yes. He talked about his inspiration for picking that song and described part of the process of giving this Elton John classic a Reggae makeover. For more on that part of the conversation check out our post over at CoveringTheMouse.com.


Now if you follow DisFanReview, or listen to our weekday morning show, then you already know that I have been a HUGE Matisyahu fan since 2005. In a bizzare stroke of bad luck, I discovered his music exactly 2 days after he played his first show here in Albuquerque. I always thought "Well, I'll just catch his live show, the next time he comes to Albuquerque."


Unfortunately, He has never returned. So, for the better part of year I would 'tweet' him twice a week, always with the same question. "Hey @Matisyahu, So, when are you gonna play in Albuquerque again?" after a while, I thought he was ignoring me. Then, during the final show of his 2009 tour he took a request from the internet, LUCKILY, I was the guy who got to make the request. "Hey @Matisyahu play "Struggla," c'mon since you skipped Albuquerque." He repeated that exact message on stage and live on Ustream. He also played the song I requested, Struggla(which is kind of my personal theme song).


Because of this interaction, I knew I had (very little) history with him. So, when I had the chance to ask him anything I wanted to, I asked him the obvious question. "Is there any chance of you returning to Albuquerque?" His answer while somewhat disappointing does actually give me some hope for the future.


"I have asked my agent to book me a show there solely based on your persistence but he said there isn't enough of a market for me to make any money. In other words we wouldn't get enough people there." Sadly, I cant argue with his agent. While, major Rock bands, Rappers, and R&B acts can garner huge crowds here, I doubt that a city full of head-bangers and gang-bangers would turn out in droves for the worlds first ever Hasidic Jewish Reggae artist. I would be there... In the front row, as well as about six hundred other people. Unfortunately, that is nowhere near enough people to make it profitable. Alas, I will just have to get by watching his live shows on Ustream. But, I have to say... Even if I never get to see him live, I will forever be grateful that Matisyahu always makes himself available for his fans. Even his biggest fan in Albuquerque who always complains. Thanks again Matisyahu, it meant the world! -Admiral Duke

No comments: