
When George Lucas announced the imminent release of the Star Wars films to Blu-ray, He called upon Luke Skywalker himself, Mark Hamill to come out on stage to help him make the announcement. It would seem that this was a truly fitting move because moments later they showed a clip starring Hamill to a room full of Star Wars fans that had only heard of this clip but never seen it. Of course, what is curious about the "Luke Constructing his Lightsaber" clip is that George Lucas and Mark Hamill have both said in the past, that it was never filmed. I can think of a number of instances when George has said it, but thats not what is important. What is important is the last time Mark Hamill said it. It was last month at San Diego Comic Con, mere weeks before standing at Celebration V introducing the same scene he said he never filmed. The exact quote was something like "I never filmed a scene in the desert in a cave." So, one of two things is true, either Mark lied to the Comic Con crowd to save the surprise for SWCV, or George Lucas created the scene using state of the art CGI. Now, the latter option sounds crazy, I know. Keep this in mind, George Lucas is the same guy who edited in Hayden Christensen as Anakin into the final scene of Return of The Jedi on the films 2004 DVD release. In 1997 he had Greedo shoot first in the Special Edition version of A New Hope. Not to mention that George was crazy enough to show this clip to a room of Star Wars fans, all armed with cameras, and cell phones and then cry foul when this clip hit the net(I know this happened because when I posted this clip on YouTube I got an interesting message from Lucasfilm about copyright infringement. Fair enough, I like to do the right thing on the internet... So I will just embed someone else's video). If he was crazy enough to do all those things, why wouldn't he be crazy enough to manufacture a "deleted" scene so that the 'die hards' would actually have a reason to throw down a hundred more dollars on another home video version of the Star Wars films?
I cannot take full credit for the above rant. This blog post by Toby M. was an inciting factor.
-Admiral Duke
No comments:
Post a Comment