The fact is, Guardians Of The Galaxy isn't a well know property. It isn't The Avengers, It isn't The Justice League, It isn't even the Green Lantern Corp. It is a rather obscure group of characters first launched by MARVEL comics back in the late 60's and retooled and rebooted in 2008. However, what is interesting is that MARVEL villain Thanos(The purple guy we see at the end of this summers The Avengers.) has been a major factor in past Guardians story lines. So, Guardians Of The Galaxy may be the perfect place to Introduce Thanos before he becomes a threat for The Avengers.
Now, the man confirmed to direct this off kilter film, kind of has the same problem as The Guardians. James Gunn isn't well known to most moviegoers... and most of his work is obscure. Most moviegoers have probably seen his work, and never known it. He got his start as an associate director for Lloyd Kuafman's Troma Entertainment and went on to write several underground favorites. He has written in the Superhero genre before...sort of. In 2000 he wrote and acted in the superhero parody Specials starring Thomas Haden Church and Rob Lowe. In 2011 he wrote and directed Rain Wilson, Ellen Paige, and Kevin Bacon in the gory genre spoof, Super.
However, James Gunn does have experience adapting existing characters for the big screen. He also know a little something about writing CGI animals. In 2002 he wrote the story, and co-wrote the screenplay for the big screen adaptation of Scooby Doo, and in 2004 he wrote the films sequel Scooby Doo 2: Monsters Unleashed. That experience should serve him well considering the fact that one of the Guardians is a three foot tall talking Raccoon from another planet. Gunn confirmed his involvement with the project via Facebook. Here is the full announcement:
“For a month or so there’s been a lot of Internet speculation about my involvement with Marvel’s ‘Guardians of the Galaxy.’ Until now I haven’t said anything, because I’m trying to be less expulsive about this project than I am about the rest of my life. But last night I got the go-ahead from Kevin Feige to let you all know that, yes, indeed, I am rewriting and directing ‘Guardians of the Galaxy.'
As a lifelong lover of Marvel comics, space epics, AND raccoons, this is the movie I’ve been waiting to make since I was nine years old. Kevin, Joss, and all the folks at Marvel have been amazing collaborators so far, and we’re committed to bringing you something majestic, beautiful, and unique. I am incredibly excited. I am also incredibly grateful to the fans and the press for all their words of encouragement and support regarding my involvement with this project since the news first leaked. Thanks – you have, honestly, touched and overwhelmed me.
MARVEL's Guardians Of The Galaxy hit's theaters Summer 2014.
MARVEL's Guardians Of The Galaxy hit's theaters Summer 2014.

No comments:
Post a Comment