.

Friday, November 6, 2009

Disney's "A Christmas Carol" Film Review


WOW. That could be my entire review, and I would feel content in the knowledge that one single word was an accurate review of Disney's "A Christmas Carol." But, having not seen the movie for yourself, you probably wouldn't agree.

I will begin with this more accurate statement: Disney's "A Christmas Carol" is almost perfect. Almost. Visually, the film is STUNNING. and the word "stunning" really can't be repeated enough. My eyes were glued open from start to finish.

One thing that I don't think enough people realize, is that "A Christmas Carol" was designed to be viewed in 3-D. Every facet of the film was crafted to utilize every advancement in 3-D technology. While of course there are the trademark 3-D gimmicks, like objects hurtling towards the camera. For the most part the the technology is used to amazing effect, as a vehicle to put you directly in to the story. You feel completely enveloped by the film. I really don't think I am exaggerating when I say that Disney's, but more to the point Zemeckis' "A Christmas Carol" is a 3-D masterpiece.

It is an immersing and absorbing film that is so incredibly detailed that subsequent viewings are required just to catch every amazing little detail on the edges of the screen. The animated human characters were actually pretty amazing, definitely the best that I have seen to date, but, motion capture animation seems to be one of those things, where you either love it or hate it. The film flows like a "Currier & Ives" painting come to life, and while most of the "painting" is quite nearly perfect, there are portions of the "painting" where it appears that the painter got lazy and wasn't quite worried about this or that wooden expression on the face of a lesser character, but you could tell quite obviously that the marquee characters were handled with much more detail. Regardless of the restrictions that still exist in the technology, it does seem quite nearly perfected. The one thing that does bother me about the film, isn't really about the film itself, but more to the point, how the film was marketed in the United States & England. Almost all marketing materials seemed to portray the film as a fun, happy, 3-D romp. While the film is most certainly a "fun romp," you cannot call Disney's "A Christmas Carol" happy. Two weeks ago I watched the Japanese trailer, and it was a revelation. Because Japanese audiences are less familiar with the story, Disney had to create a trailer that better conveyed the story and dark tone of the film. Which is actually a very important thing that parents of young children need to be aware of. Disney's "A Christmas Carol" is a dark film, because Ebeneezer Scrooges journey to redemption is not without it's horror's. I use the word "horror" quite on purpose. There are two short moments in the film that are as unsettling as any horror film. One during Marley's visit to Scrooge, and the other when the Ghost of Christmas Present leaves the presence of Scrooge. Because of those two scenes, it is my recommendation to parents, that "A Christmas Carol" is probably inappropriate for children under the age of 10. All of those 'minor' drawbacks aside, Disney's "A Christmas Carol" is an absolutely astonishing film. It is an entirely faithful adaptation of Charles Dickens original vision and is a satisfying visual adventure, that was well worth the wait.

-Admiral Duke

2 comments:

Bethany Dawn Burns said...

That was an awesome review. Thank you...I was really wondering if I should take my children to see it. :)

Blaine Bachman said...

Sorry, I couldn't disagree more. Nifty SFX but I found the characters dull and lifeless, without depth and poorly brought to life. I'd rather watch just about any other rendition, esp. Patrick Stewart's (or just listen to Sir Lawrence Olivier's dramatic reading and fill in the visuals myself).