
Prince of Persia is a unique look into the Arabian world of myth, legend, and great story telling. This epic adventure takes us on a journey of a young prince as he rises from poor orphan to the savior of the Persian crown. Move over 300, this is an army of one. Dastan, played by Jake Gyllenhaal amazes audiences with his fluid movement and perfected stepping that can only be compared to those of popular video games like Assassins Creed.
The story begins much like Aladdin, where Persian guards chase a young boy (Dastan) through the dessert market place. For his courage and heroic actions, the king takes him in as a son and raises him to be a prince of Persia. The movie mostly takes place 13 years after this event where the three sons of the king are fighting to win the attention of their father in hopes that they will be named the next Persian king. During the first battle, Prince Dastan recovers a dagger that we soon find out allows the holder to travel back in time for up to a minute. The rest of the film is centered on discovering the powers of the dagger, as well as Prince Dastan proving that he is innocent of a crime he did not commit.
This film was an interesting mix in story lines that I related to Disney’s Aladdin and The Lion King. I only say this because it closely follows the story of the brother to the king planning to destroy the royal family so he might rise to the thrown. The films action and fluid movement of the charcters can also be tied to the Assassins creed games. While I have never played the Prince of Persia video game I was told that the movie hints at the games storyline but is mostly a unique interpretation to add to the games original plot.
The main reason I enjoyed this film was that it brought in all the elements of a successful action story. The movie is action packed; it includes a love story, and also a touch of humor that rounds the film out perfectly. The story is tad predictable but easily keeps you entertained with the amount of fights and crazy acrobatics filling every scene. While this is a Disney production I must stress that the film is violent and rated appropriately at PG13 (so think twice before bringing the little ones).
This film ushers in a new decade in Disney live action productions and more than makes up for a few flops from this past year. Hopefully this film gives viewers back faith in Jerry Bruckheimer productions in time for Sorcerers Apprentice to come out in July! While I was sure this was another average film I assure you this story is fun and unique and definitely worth those crazy movie theater prices. Hey look on the bright side, at least it isn’t 3D.
Written by Tyler Enboden aka @TheCurrentMouse
No comments:
Post a Comment