.jpg)
In a story that broke yesterday, The Drudge Report and Perez Hilton are both reporting that Disney execs are prepared to cut all of Keith Richards scenes from the up coming Disney film Pirates Of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides. The legendary guitarist for the Rolling Stones faces the ax in light of several not so repentant drug references that he makes in his new book entitled 'Life.' Among other things, Richards states his own personal regiment for surviving drug use.
“It's not only the high quality of drugs I had that I attribute my survival to. I was very meticulous about how much I took,” and seemingly endorsing the use of drugs in moderation, Richards wrote “I'd never put more in to get a little higher. That's where most people [expletive] up on drugs.” Of course, Disney being the cornerstone of wholesome entertainment that it is, has to take issue with these statements. There would be a major outcry from parents groups if they didn't.
However, I happen to think the likelihood of Richards actually being cut from the film is probably a long shot. EVERYONE in the free world knows that Keith Richards was once famously addicted to drugs. Everyone has heard the tales of Richards frequent blood transfusions to undo the damage from that addiction. Another key factor that makes this entire story seem a bit disingenuous comes from the fact that since the first 'Pirates' movie, star Johnny Depp has readily admitted that his Jack Sparrow character was based on an inebriated Richards. I have no doubt that Disney has serious concerns about the content of Richards book, but I somehow doubt those concerns will result in the wholesale removal of a Rock N Roll icon from a likely blockbuster film. Especially when said removal would probably result in a outcry from fans, I.E. the folks who buy movie tickets.
-Admiral Duke
No comments:
Post a Comment