.

Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Mars Needs Moms Trailer Hits The Net.


I really hate this Hollywood trend of transforming beloved childrens books into films that barely, if at all, resemble the source material. Yes, "Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs" I'm talking about you. The same seems woefully true here, with "Mars Needs Moms." The book, written by Bloom County,Outland, and Opus cartoonist Berkeley Breathed doesn't look or feel anything like this. The humor is still there for sure, but WHY Disney, WHY is this a MOTION CAPTURE film? I know, I know, Robert Zemeckis talked you into it. Zemeckis' Mo-Cap studio, Image Movers Digital was shut down by Disney after the fantastically disappointing show of Disney's Christmas Carol, last winter. Mars Needs Moms is the final film to come from that studio. It is entirely unfortunate that the film is motion capture because Berkley Breathed's cartoon style is so very intriguing that it would have been an amazing style in which to animate the entire film. From what I have seen, the basic story line is intact but Berkeley Breathed's signature wit seems to have been thrown out with his artistic style. We're not yet making any judgement's, because this is just the teaser trailer... But, time will tell, because Mars Needs Moms hits theaters on March 11th 2011. -Admiral Duke

No comments: