.

Friday, January 1, 2010

Disney's "Give a day, Get an Error Screen" Promotion



Today, Disney Parks "Give a day,Get a Disney day" promotion kicked off with a bang! Or more to the point, a collective THUD as countless people across the United State's & Canada slammed their heads into their keyboards in total frustration, after receiving error screen, after error screen when they tried to register for the program. I know this for a fact because I was one of the throng of the frustrated and confused. I have the bruises on my forehead to prove it. As I sit here in the DisFanReview Studio's typing this article, I have not yet been able to register for "G.a.d.g.a.D.d." and I have been at it for over 20 hours now. I'm not even kidding. I am actually shocked at the entire thing. Has no one at Disney been paying attention to the state of affairs out here? The economy stinks and people want to feel good. About the world and themselves. Americans are a charitable people. They want to give to those less fortunate. People also want a break from all the crappy things going on in the world. Where else is better than Disney Parks? BUT I HAVE LEFT OUT THE MOST IMPORTANT PART!! 99% of people like get FREE STUFF. Given all these facts, that seem to me to be self evident and, rather common knowledge, why is it no one at Disney could pull together a few more servers to beef up their system for the MAJOR demand that an awesome promotion like this was guaranteed to generate? This is not Disney's first time around the block. Surely someone in the I.T. department said, "Hey, You think we may need to upgrade the system for all the traffic thats gonna hit us on Jan. 1st? You just spent 4 BILLION to buy MARVEL, surely shoring up your networks infrastructure would be chump change compared. Look, the reason I am so bothered by this, is because of the opportunity lost. I have four children, whom I am trying to teach real values to. Like the value of serving your fellow man, and of course recognizing and capitalizing on a great offer when you see it. I sat down with the four of them, and we logged on to register our family. I wanted them to work for and earn this Disney trip. Which in my mind meant that we did everthing as a family. Well needless to say after the fourth or fifth error screen, Even the most mature of my children was bored and had something better to do. So now I continue to sit on the computer, AWAY FROM MY FAMILY, constantly trying to register for a program that will provided me with the opportunity to teach my family a valuable life lesson and spend quality time with them while they earn a trip to Disneyland. It just doesn't seem like thats how it should work. Last night Disney Parks finally put this update on their blog:
Thanks to the generous spirit of our guests, we have had a strong response to our ‘Give a Day, Get a Disney Day’ program.
We prepared for this launch based on similar programs in the past. However, the large numbers of guests attempting to register for volunteer service in the program has created periodic slowdowns in the network, resulting in difficulty in completing the registration process.
We apologize for the inconvenience and want to let you know that we’re working to add capacity to the system to provide a better registration experience.
Be assured that new volunteer opportunities are being added to the HandsOn Network daily, and we will not hit the 1 million ticket milestone this weekend. So keep checking back to see what new volunteer opportunities have been added — and thanks for your interest in the ‘Give a Day, Get a Disney Day’ program.


Now that's a good thing to hear. Hopefully I will be able to get on and get my family registered with relative ease...when that happens. But it hasn't happened yet. -Admiral Duke

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Duke,

I hear you! It would seem that the opportunities to do this would be easier but it seems that the more Disney does to give to the people they want more and Disney cannot keep with the demand.