.

Monday, May 24, 2010

DisFanReview's theory behind the LOST series finale


For four seasons I have been an avid fan of LOST. I came into the game a little late and became a huge fan of the show at the beginning of the third season. No matter how confusing or, yes even infuriating any given episode of the show was, I was always consoled by the fact that the show was called "LOST" and in the end maybe I was supposed to feel confused,infuriated, and yes, a little lost. So I actually think that it is appropriate that so many people are expressing these exact feelings about the series finale of the show.


Now, having said that...not only was I not confused at the end of the finale, I felt as if every IMPORTANT question had been adequately answered. Now, most of those questions were answered during the course of this last season. Case in point, many people on the net are expressing that the final episode did not explain "the point" of the island. Actually the very nature of the Island was revealed in the ninth episode of the season entitled "Ab Aeterno." For the Lost faithful, that was the Richard Alpert episode. Jacob told Richard that the Island was basically a cork that kept all of the evil in the world bottled up where it cannot spread.


What was answered in the LOST series finale was the final fate of our favorite castaways. Their very final fate. After having read so many angry reviews and complaints about this 1 hour, 45 minutes of television craziness, I think I understand why fans are confused. I think it comes down to understanding one basic element of LOST Season six. What is the "alternate reality" that has been the subject of every "Flash Sideways" in this final season? I had my guesses, but since Desmond returned to the show I pretty much had this part figured out, which is to say I had a strong guess. The "alternate reality" is a perfect world where the passengers of Oceanic 815 never crashed and some of their lives have very different details. I originally chalked this up to the fact that since the island was destroyed in this reality, then Jacob never got involved in their lives. As it turns out, that isn't the case at all.
The best way to explain WHAT the alternate reality is, is to explain WHEN it takes place in context with the events of the island. Most LOST viewers supposed that the alternate reality was created by the hydrogen bomb that was detonated by Juliette at the end of Season 5. But like everything else with LOST, This is not what it seems to be. Because the "alternate reality" was not an "alternate reality" at all. Look at it this way, In the last moments of the finale, Jack takes his final walk in the bamboo forest and then lays down and finally closes his eyes for the last time, and dies. THIS is where the alternate reality ACTUALLY begins. Because the alternate reality is actually LIMBO. A place between life and death. This was the place that all the castaways had dreamed of. This was the world where the plane never crashed and their lives were the fulfilling and meaningful existences that each person had hoped for. Most of all, this was a place where death NEVER touched them.


Locke was hit by a car and survived. A pregnant Sun is shot and not only does she survive but so does her child. In fact, the only people that died in the "Alternate reality" were the Bad Guys from the island( i.e. Mikhail and Martin Keamy.)evidently so that they might relive the same horrors that they had inflicted upon others. The most convincing evidence that this is LIMBO, comes from the smaller relationships that we saw. In this "reality" Miles is a Los Angeles cop who is loyal to his philanthropist father Dr. Chang. On the island Miles revealed that his father died before he was born and he wished he could have had a relationship with him. Desmond is Charles Whidmore's right hand man. Whidmore appreciates him and dare I say, loves him. In reality, Desmond was in love with Whitmore's daughter Penny, and Charles Whidmore hated Desmond for it. All Desmond wanted was for Charles Whidmore to approve of their relationship. The final relationship that really sealed it for me was Eloise Hawkings relationship with pretty much everybody, but especially with her son Daniel. As Desmond began to figure things out in the "alternate reality" he began to notice that Eloise seemed to know what was going on. The most important element of this was when Eloise asked Desmond if he was going to take her son, Daniel Faraday. It makes sense in a perfect world that she would want more time with the son that she inadvertently killed on the island.


Just as the finale was coming to an end, we find out that Hurley is the new caretaker of the island. Hurley is the new Jacob, and Ben Linus is his advisor. Only moments later we see Ben Linus sitting outside the church as the rest of the castaways enter. Hurley and Ben have a moment, Hurley tells Ben that he was a good Number 2, Ben tells Hurley that he was a good number one. A reference to the fact that for an undisclosed amount of time, presumably DECADES, these two men were the caretakers of the island, before they eventually died and came to the "alternate reality." Richard Alpert, Frank Lapidis, Miles, Sawyer, Kate, and Claire left the island on the plane, and presumably had long lives after their time on the island, eventually they all died and went to the "alternate reality." As the episode ends we see Christian Shepard tell his son that they are both dead and he reveals to Jack the true nature of the "alternate reality." Jack finally joins the others and their final journey ends as light spills into the church and our favorite castaways are ushered into the eternities. Why was Ben Linus waiting outside? Obviously Ben had a lot to make up for. Maybe the time he spent with Hurley as an advisor may not have been enough to get to heaven, however I think Ben is going to sit there and wait for his daughter Alex. Who was seen in the "alternate reality" as a happy teenager living the life she was denied when she was senselessly killed on the island.


Many people came away from the finale believing that the entire series was a waste of time. It had all taken place in purgatory and therefore none of it mattered. But that thought is patently wrong. When Locke, Jack, and Desmond were heading in to the light, at the "heart of the island" Desmond told Jack "None of this matters." He told Jack that there was a place where he could be with the people he loves. Jack told Desmond, that there are no short cuts, and everything that they do on this island really does matter. A statement that utterly sinks the theory that the island was all a lie. Keep in mind this is a theory. But, the entire DisFanReview staff is convinced that this what they saw in the television finale that we will be talking about for years to come. -Admiral Duke

2 comments:

Mikey from Magic City Mayhem said...

I like your theory. Helped clear up a bit. I was confused as to when they died. Was it from the 815 crash? Was it Jughead blowing up? Looks like I am re-watching everything again, so hopefully things will clear up then, and your theory definitely helped!

Thanks!

Mikey

The Current Mouse said...

I myself went with the "This is all a test" theory but I really like yours it has much more debth. I am currently re-watching the series with the knowledge of the end to make the various connections between the reality of what the island ment to everyone. I can see even from the first season lockes belifes about the island coming into to place. locke played a major part in jacks development and understanding of his own faith. Also I beleive hurley re-wrote the rules so that before you moved on you could since a perfect life kinda thing. will have to do a round table or something about theories and such.