

I can vividly remember seeing Toy Story as a child, the anticipation, the excitement and everything else that came with being a kid. So with my Buzz light-year in hand I sat back and enjoyed a fun filled adventure into the world of a toy box full of characters that would soon be some of the most recognizable icons of the past 15 years. Little did I know that through the years I would grow with Andy and eventually grow past the simple joys of playing with toys. This was also the case when John Lasseter was sending his son off to college. The emotion that he felt in that glimpse into his child’s adult world was the sparking inspiration for a third and final story about our favorite toys journey with Andy.
Toy Story 3 follows Woody, Buzz, Jesse and the rest of the gang as Andy prepares to go to college. While the toys have started to accept their fate as a collection in the attic. A small mix up lands them in a donation box and at Sunnyside Daycare. Welcomed by a huggable bear named Lot-so the group starts to enjoy the idea of the daycare life but they soon find out that its not all what its cracked up to be. The majority of the story revolves around the toys struggle to get back to Andy. The introduction of various new toys from Peas in a pod to the lovable bachelor Ken doll sets the stage for a new chapter in the toys life. Each new toy brings in various comedic and mysterious characteristics that contribute to fun and unique story line. However unlike the other toy story films the humans plays a bigger role and were more present throughout the film.
Of course one of the more exciting aspects of the film is the traditional short that is shown before each Pixar film. The short “Day and Night” was a fun 2D look at both daytime and nighttime as characters. Day and Night interact with each other showing how both can be enjoyed by others. Pixar has yet again surprised audiences with a weird yet entertaining way to open the film. I’m also one of those people who loves the trailers and toy story does not disappoint with a first look at Tangled. I was happy to see that as opposed to a first look at Cars 2(It's the age of sequels, but that’s another story).
The film itself is amazing. It opens strong and ends with a tear jerking finale. What is really interesting is the journey we take to get there. The middle of the film was just weird and to be honest, a little creepy. Remember the toys in Sid’s room? Kind of like that. For a brief moment I had lost hope in the film until a Spanish speaking Buzz light-year stole the show. So while some scenes are to say the least, interesting. The film as a whole delivers a strong message that only Pixar could show us. The film sends a power message of devotion and the love that surrounds you. It taught me to lend a hand to a toy in need and never leave a mint condition Woody action figure with a bunch of toddlers. Needless to say the true meaning of this film was to bring closure to the millions of fans that grew up with the Toy story saga. Finally we are given an answer to what happens to our lovable friends once Andy has grown away from them.
I think I’m a pretty tough guy. But, there’s something about the power of Disney and Pixar that consistently reaches out to my heart to make me smile, laugh, and even cry. The end of Toy story is indeed sad. It is also the happy ending that Woody and the gang deserve. After seeing this film I instantly remembered all the toys I had as a child and smiled knowing there were just up in the attic ready to play once more. So once you go out and see this amazing film remember to go home and pull out one of those old toys and just take a journey through your imagination.
-Tyler Enboden aka @TheCurrentMouse
2 comments:
glad to see & read your review, I look forward to seeing TS3 3D in just a few more hours. Now reading your review is getting my excitement level up!
See - I knew there was a reason I have so much 'stuff' in my loft and shed - no toy gets left behind!!! :~)
Post a Comment