.

Saturday, September 11, 2010

Random Notes 9/11/10

"Strange" Days Ahead At PIXAR?


Most Disney fans are completely unfamiliar with the name Brendan McCarthy. But something this trippy artist said may have a major impact on them. McCarthy has just released the collected version of his Spiderman/Dr. Strange cross over story Spiderman:Fever. During an interview promoting the book with Mark Kardwell of BadLibrarianship.com, Brendan had this interesting quote about Dr. Strange's possible future fate:


"It's only a matter of time before the fantastic visual world of Ditko's Dr. Strange is brought to a wider public. Curiously enough, I was over in Hollywood earlier this year mooching about, and I had a meeting at Disney and the conversation drifted around to Pixar animating a Dr. Strange movie... Now, wouldn't that be nice."


Now by itself some comment from a comic book artist about the possible film future of a character wouldn't mean a lot, but McCarthy is no stranger to Hollywood, and Dr. Strange is really the last of the Big Marvel comic's heroes that has yet to see the big screen. Much of the delay in the good doctors arrival on the big screen has to do with the heavily psychedelic nature of the character and his adventures. Already McCarthy's statement has longtime Dr. Strange fans excited about the special magic that Pixar could bring to his amazing and far out world.


The Muppets Kitchen with Cat Cora, The Good,Bad & Ugly


I am uneasy about this project. Because like me, most Muppets fans are really confused. Is the "Muppets Kitchen" going to be short interstitials between programming on the Disney Channel? Is it going to be a video series on the Muppet Studio's YouTube Channel? Or Is it going to be a full blown Muppets television program? After watching the disappointing video preview posted below I am happy to report that it is the Disney Channel option. So what ever damage is to come from the Muppets Kitchen will likely be light. Why the cynicism? Lets just say from what we have seen, the good simply does not out weigh the bad. The Good? Well it's the Muppets. The Muppets always rock. They have an excellent recent track record with some awesome viral videos that are always witty,clever and genuinely funny. The Bad? Cat Cora seems obviously uncomfortable with the situation...That or the Iron Chef simply can't act. Somebody needed to tell her to kill all the hand gestures. The Ugly? Where the heck is the Sweedish Chef in a promo for The Muppet Kitchen...I mean Isn't it HIS kitchen anyway?... AND, Who the heck is this Emeril Lagasse rip off Muppet named Angelo? UGH! The excitement meter is quite low for this...
-Admiral Duke

1 comment:

kymie said...

I tried to get excited cos after all...ITS THE MUPPETS!!! But to be honest I think they coulda done way better!! Either do it one way or the other - spoof stuff like Swedish Chefs popcorn viral, or proper cookery clips, showing how to make the cookie dough,not just how to cut out shapes!!!! But of course I will still watch it lol!!