.

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

REVIEW: iPhone App 'Magic Map' From Adelie Software


Magic Map (Adelie Software) is a navigation based iPhone application for the Walt Disney World Resort (WDW) and Disneyland Resort (DL). Its main goal is to aid in finding your way around WDW and DL using the built in compass and GPS that is found within the iPhone. I had the opportunity to use and test Magic Map at EPCOT at WDW and was able to make a few observations, both negative and positive.

It is to be noted that you MUST be on park property for the application to work. What I noticed (and it is the same with all four WDW parks) is that the application does not work in the parking lot. If you are off park property (ex: at home), the application “automagically” senses it and asks if you would like a demo of the features that the app offers.

While using the app, I found very few problems with it. Something very important that I found is that your iPhone must be held directly in front of you if you want the most accurate directions to wherever you are going. One other problem I found is that the application drains the battery a little bit if you use it a lot. I would recommend only using Magic Map occasionally throughout your time spent in the parks to avoid a dead battery.

Despite the few negative aspects, I found my experience with Magic Map to be very positive. The application is rather new, I enjoyed the ease of use, as well as the simple look of the application. I was able to stand in one place and take note of where the closest restrooms, attractions, food spots etc where within the park. As a WDW local, I probably wouldn’t use Magic Map myself (unless I go to DL, which I am not familiar with), but I can see how it can be helpful to someone who is not as familiar with the parks as I am. I have more often than not had to point out the closest restroom or ATM to a family who is completely lost in the park, and I think Magic Map would be incredibly helpful in a situation like that.

Magic Map is currently available in the iTunes App Store for $1.99. It requires iOS 4.0 or higher and is compatible with iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPad Wi-Fi + 3G and iPad 2 Wi-Fi___33 + 3G.

-WaltCast Katie
Katie is a contributor to Disfanreview.com and a co-host on WaltCast: A Disney Podcast. Find her on twitter @WaltCast_Katie.

No comments: