.

Friday, November 11, 2011

'Osborne Family Spectacle Of Dancing Lights' Kicks Off At WDW's Hollywood Studios



There are just some instances where pictures are never enough. A photograph can only capture so much and sometimes, you just have to witness something for yourself. Recently, I learned just that and I’m glad I did.

Disney’s Hollywood Studios happens to be my favorite park. I could never quite pin down why but I’ve always said it’s for the atmosphere. Every year, The Streets of America are adorned with five million lights that, every so often, “dance” to Christmas music. There are absolutely no words to describe the feeling one gets when the switch is turned on and you are surrounded by those five million lights. Better yet, once they start to dance, it all gets better.


As a first timer going to see the lights, I only knew so much. My husband had been able to see them last year and could not stop talking about them. As I looked through the photos and videos that he took, all he could say was, “You have to see them for yourself, and the pictures don’t do them justice”. I thought he was kidding at first.

Standing on the Streets of America prior to the lighting, I looked up and around. Even with the lights off, the display is pretty amazing. To my right, was a seventy foot Christmas tree adorned with lights and even with the lights off, it’s quite a sight. I never like to admit that I’ve cried at Walt Disney World, but I cried almost as soon as the lights were turned on. As I looked up and down the Streets of America, I was overcome with emotion. I normally don’t start getting ready for Christmas until after Thanksgiving (or in some cases, a week before Christmas), but there is something about the Osborne Lights that changes that. Maybe it’s the fake snow or the music, but it’s probably a combination of the two plus the lights themselves.


I have never been more impressed with a Christmas lighting display and I have seen quite a few. Disney does an impeccable job of covering every inch of the buildings with lights and even including hidden mickeys in the displays (I managed to spot a few myself, but I heard there are a ton). Only Disney takes the time to do what they do and there is something about the holidays at Walt Disney World that is truly exceptional. If you ever have the chance to check out the Osborne Family Spectacle of Dancing Lights, I highly recommend it.

The Osborne Family Spectacle of Dancing Lights can be seen every night until January 3, 2012 (except for December 8, 2011). The lights are free with admission to Disney’s Hollywood Studios and typically begin around 6pm.


-Katie Bonneau
Katie can be reached on twitter at @waltcast_katie

No comments: