What she says: First of all, the music is at some points adorable and Disney-ish. Yet, at other times it is obnoxious and off putting. The art work is whimsical yet at times dips into a style reminiscent of the 90's Ren and Stimpy show, which can distract from the overall presentation. I'm torn between my appreciation for spin offs and character makeovers and my long time, and deeply felt love of classic Mickey. A Mickey Mouse who has undergone gradual, subtle changes over the years. Can I look past these nuances and appreciate the new Mickey? I think so. The truth is, the shorts, in spite of their oddities and issues, still have that Disney charm we all love. Mickey, our sometimes unfortunate antagonist, might struggle along the way, but ultimately comes out on top. Isn't that the Disney message anyway; life is a struggle, but we can laugh, fight and play, and ultimately, hopefully, come out on top from time to time? After all, it was Walt himself that said:
"All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you. "
What he says: I LOVE Mickey Mouse. I've always been a huge fan of the classic black and white Mickey Mouse shorts from the late 1920's and 1930's. This new series seems to act like a direct sequel series to those classic shorts. As if those classic characters were lost in a time vortex and ended up in a realm where the entire history of animation is alive and well... and all in the same place. A lost series that picks up right where those old cartoons left off. Mickey is a snarky, good-hearted rascal who who will go to any length to accomplish his goals. This Mickey stands in wild contrast next to the rather bland version of the character that an entire generation of children have come to know in Disney's Mickey Mouse Club House, but is absolutely in line with the character that Walt Disney and Ub Iwerks created back in 1928. The animation is somewhat reminiscent of those classic shorts, while borrowing liberally from over 80 years of animation history. Stylistically, there are elements of Warner Brothers animation from the 30's and 40's present, as well as elements that seem pulled straight out of the animation renaissance that came out of Cartoon Network in the 1990's, and early 2000's. However, Mickey, Minnie, Donald, Daisy and Goofy are exactly who we remember them to be. Lovable, sweet, silly, and downright hilarious. This is exactly the kind of makeover this 85 year old character needed. I cannot wait to see the rest.
The newest short, "New York Weenie" is exclusively available on The Disney Blog right now, but you can see two others here:
Keep an eye on The Disney Shorts YouTube Page

46 comments:
These look awesome! I am with the Admiral...I'm excited about these!
Where is our good buddy John Dziak with the travel tip Tuesdays??
Its coming back!
We've now watched these shorts so many times at our house that the family has them memorized! They're excellent, and a totally fresh and hysterical rebirth that harkens back to Mickey and the gangs original roots, rather than the boring milk toast they ultimately became. Kudos Disney!
I've seen quite a few of these new shorts, and I gotta say, I hate them! The animation is horrible & the characters lack their old charm. I've always loved Goofy for as long as I can remember, but the Goofy I've seen lately is a moronic, hick, idiot, not the funny, bumbling sweet character that he once was. My kids are as unimpressed as I am. We change the channel whenever these come on!
To the second Anonymous, you're completely wrong, as well as a moron! >:(
Plus, how dare you hate the new shorts and Goofy's characterization in them! Shame on you!
The next jerk-o who dares to say bad things about Goofy's portrayal in these shorts as well as express hatred of them will be shot on sight as punishment for their stupidity! >:(
And furthermore, the animation in these new shorts is awesome, not horrible! And the characters DO have their old charm!
Clearly, Anonymous #2, you and your kids obviously have no taste and do not know good quality cartoon shows when they're right under your freakin' noses! >:(
Dude, it's just a cartoon. Get a grip. I agree with Anonymous #2 somewhat. While I think the situations are kind of funny, I hate the ones with Goofy, too. Why have they made him so gross?
As a long time fan of Disney I really hate this new cartoon series. I turn it off when it comes on. It reminds me of Ren & Stimpy. (SUCKS)
I also have to agree that I'm not a big fan. Goofy was gross in the episode I just saw and my kids are not impressed either. I understand trying to revamp a rusty old image; but it should still be Disney. If I wanted to watch these antics I would watch Ren & Stimpy or the like; not put on the Disney Channel...
Robyn and Bill Hart, both of you must take back what you just said! You're both completely wrong and you know that! >:(
I swear if I hear one more person compare these fantastic new Mickey shorts to Ren & Stimpy, those people will be made into two-by-fours! >:(
They really do look like the Ren and Stimoy cartoons, that was the first thing I thought as soon as the first one came on. I wouldn't mind them so much, but Goofy is just disgusting looking. :/
They really do look like the Ren and Stimpy cartoons, that was the first thing I thought as soon as the first one came on. I wouldn't mind them so much, but Goofy is just disgusting looking. :/
Hate them! My kids don't like them either and my 2 year old is scared of them and he loves Mickey Mouse Clubhouse.
I miss the days of Mickey Mouse and Looney Tunes. Back when Friday nights were family shows and Saturday mornings were just for kids. Now shows have been dumbed down and have kids disrespecting adults. And we wonder why adults don't respect police. Why should they when they are shown how to talk back at such a young age. Bring back shows with educational value that will encourage children to grow into adults we would want to work with and run this country.
To the last 3 Anonymouses, be prepared to be made into two-by-fours for the stupid, false things you all just said! 😡
These new cartoons are horrible. The animation looks ugly, cheap, and as if they took no time to art.....more of the modern slop they keep giving us , and now Disney has joined in. Walt is probably rolling in his grave.
OK...online threatening will get you nowhere...so just shut up cause noone really cares....I'm staying in Walt Disney world right now and all I used to love were the old cartoons they had on the hotel channel here....now its just these new mickey ones and they are gross and def do remind me of ren and stimpy ... why did they have to ruin a good thing? Its just very disappointing....
To the last 2 Anonymouses, you're both completely wrong and shall be made into two-by-fours right this minute! 😡
Wow the 2 comments about turning people into 2x4's just proves the point. Really? There are so many smarter responses because that doesn't even make sense.
I totally agree. The first thing I thought when I seen the new shorts was that it was a disgusting rip off of Ren and Stimpy. The shorts are a DISGRACE to Disney and the representation of Mickey and friends! I immediately turn the channel whenever the shorts come on. They are obscene, gross, and degrading. I surely do hope that this is not the direction we want our classic morally good characters to go. Mickey and friends are supposed to be uplifting and of good nature. They are supposed to teach lessons. The new shorts are a dark morbid version of the classic lovable characters and have definitely caused me to lose a little respect for Disney. Why would they chose to demoralize their own image? Ludicrous.
As a long time Disney fan, I HATE the new shorts! I cannot believe how disgusting they are. In one of them they turned Goofy into a zombie, it is completely disturbing. My 10 year old daughter is upset and wonders why they made these changes. I think the animators need to look at the Twice Upon a Christmas and use that type of animation. The story lines also need to be greatly improved. I agree with Jenn, the shorts need to be uplifting. The Ren and Stimpy look needs to go away.
I have to agree these new Mickey cartoons are horrible. My five year old hates them and can't understand why they made Mickey and his friends look and act like this. We love the Disney Channel and Disney Jr., but may have to stop watching if these and other cartoons are allowed on these channels. What creator or focus group said these were appropriate for kids. Disney has become all about the money and this is a prime example, although I think it might backfire for them.
I don't like these new cartoons AT ALL. I watched this one episode with Mickey and Minnie taking a stroll and he insulted her! Mickey's character is sweet, he would never make a rude side comment. *Sigh* I really miss the old cartoons - why change something that was good to begin with?
And geez! I respect that there are people who like this version but just because other people don't like it doesn't mean you have to call them names and whatnot. I don't see the people who dislike this show calling YOU names. They're just stating their opinion.
@the above poster.
the mickey from the very old black and white toons actually would of done something slightly like that.
in fact in plane crazy, mickey was practically groping minnie against her will.
the mickey mouse that most people now know from when he went to color, is always the mr nice guy type, much like he appeared in a disney christmas carol. but during his early black and white days, and his early color days, he was a bit more edgy, often even being the antagonist.
One thing I'm kinda not sure about with these new shorts though, are the ren & stempy style humor in some instances. I get that they wanted to make mickey edgy again, but well...the black and white toons never had a lot of "gross out" humor to em. Yet mickey mouse in these new ones are filled with very ren & stempy style gross out humor.
The black and white shorts did have gross out gags too.
Recently on a Disney cruise, my family and I were in the concierge lounge, where they had these new animated shorts running from morning to night. The children, ranging in age from 3-17, were sitting around watching as the parents worked out the details of their excursions. When I approached the area these "kids" we're sitting, they were all discussing how they wished the old Mickey Mouse was showing instead. Some of the younger ones were crying and the three kids that were around age 11 continuously stated they were grossed out. One of the older teens actually got up and tried to find a way to turn the tv off. Now, none of these kids are related. Nor had they ever met before that day. I assume they come from some what varies backgrounds with different interests and parenting styles. However, not one of the 12 or so kids had any interest. In fact, they would have rather watched nothing. As a parent I have overheard my own children say they only watch DVR'd Disney shows so that they can fast forward through these shorts. Wow, what a difference. I am sad that the new generation of children will not grow up to love Mickey Mouse as so many generations before. I encourage the writers to go back to the drawing board on this character rewrite. I totally get the idea behind getting with the times. This new version misses the mark. The graphics are okay, minus the grunge factor, why do they all look homeless? But the content and sound bites are unnerving.
I can only describe the newer disney cartoons as un appealing,nasty,discus ting with no creativity or imagination. Cartoonist today have no imagination or tact. Shame on you disney! Sad very sad! The style can only be discribe as GROSS ren and stimpy. The people putting these show together cannot even be call artist. I am sure Walt Disney would be discusted and disappointed.
walt disney must be rolling in grave seeing how disgusting and disgraceful his beloved characters came out its a shame kids will grow up remembering this horrible version of mickey and friends
I'm 33 years old and I watched all the 1940's and 1950's cartoons (specially the Disney ones) when I was little. There is a reason why a kid born in the 80's still watched cartoons made 4 decades ago, by that time: because they were good!!
Then, why try to copy the cheap animations of early 2000's? They are not only copying Ren and Stimpy, but also the thick lines in Hanna-Barbera cartoons, like in The Flintstones. Also the backgrounds have a Hanna Barbera style. Disney cartoons had always better art than anybody else. Those repetitive loop backgrounds seemed boring to me.
Why dont you guys at Disney try to copy ...Disney! Come on, you are working in the best place for animation. You are not Hanna Barbera!
PD: the characters are not suitable for small children. Too scary.
So bummed! Staying in Disney right now and they don't show any of the old shorts just the new ones. Im not a huge fan of these new shorts, I miss the old ones!
Haha, this thread just came up in my history & I thought I'd give it a look. I was the first anonymous who criticized these new shorts, & I think the reaction of some defenders is hilarious! Obviously the people who are loving these cartoons are not the smartest, the comebacks are weak, &,seriously, you're gonna kill someone & turn them into a 2x4 for having different (better) taste than you do? All I can say is congratulations to everybody, child & adult alike, for having higher standards for entertainment than this poster! And also, the shorts still suck. BOOM!
Haha ya they're a massive steaming pile of crap! Disney has lost something with these sorry excuses for cartoons. As for the 12 yr old sitting in his room on his moms laptop waiting to be called down for dinner, find a new insult. Oh, I think I hear your mama now! "Son, c'mon down, we're having your favorite -tater tots! Don't trip coming down the carpeted stairs"
Seems like more ppl hate em then luv em
Wrong! More people love them than hate them. The morons mindlessly bashing them are just that--morons! 😡
I love how the people that like them have to resort to calling everyone else names. Speaks volumes if you ask me lol
Disney used to make the best cartoons, don't know why they have to try to "modernize" things. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Wow, the shorts really suck and all of the people who like them seem to be outnumbered by the people who hate them. 2x4's, really? That's is literally the stupidest argument I've ever heard. You are all extremely stupid to have to insult people who have a different opinion that you. Wow. Just wow.
I saw one of these shorts last night and I changed the channel. They are so bad and I don't know why disney ruined all of there characters with these crappy shorts. I really hate these Mickey shorts, and it seems that almost everyone else hates them too. If you, for some reason, like them, than ask yourself why. Because they are not good and I don't know who would think they are.
Lololololololololo!!!!!!!!!!! So true! I can't breathe hahahahahah!!!
I'm going to share this all over the internet so everyone can see how much of a freak that anonymous dude (who I'm pretty sure slipped and put his name Phillip?) is. So we can collectively make fun!
What a great idea previous poster. Anyone know this Phillip guy? Is he the 12 yr old prepubescent mentioned in a previous comment? Hope he made it alright down those stairs, carpeted or not. Enjoy those free tater tots your moms making you man, one day you'll have to pay for your own!
Seriously goofy looks like he is on drugs... this is wrong on so many levels
And here I thought I'd find a civilized discussion regarding something Disney-related. Guess I thought wrong. Seriously, people. Act your age. -_-
Personally, I find these shorts very entertaining. They herald back to the shorts from the olden days, and they're definitely a step-up from Mickey's most recent outings; honestly, which do you guys prefer, Clubhouse or Mickey 2013? I go with the latter. Mickey actually has a CHARACTER in these shorts rather than being a total goody-goody, something that was lacking in him for so long.
Of course, that's not to say there aren't things wrong with the shorts. For one, Donald and Goofy are too dickish and stupid, respectively. Donald simply got angry too quickly in the old shorts, while Goofy was just clumsy. Here, it's a little too much.
Anyway, that's it for my piece on these new shorts.
I don't have a problem with the shorts themselves, but I really dislike the animation style, particularly Goofy. I turned on the Disney cartoon channel when I was at WDW recently and I was disappointed it was all of these new shorts and none of the old ones. I really liked the old style of animation better and those cartoons are classics for a reason.
If they kept the story lines without the stupidity & had someone draw who's animation doesn't look like the work of an elementary student I'm sure it'd be fine. The characters have always been loveable & cute, now if these came on if automatically change the channel around young children because they look like something inappropriate, not the safe sweet Mickey & Minnie that you'd expect. I mean, I wouldn't put Ren & Stimpy on for a toddler
Post a Comment