.

Saturday, June 1, 2013

Fan Art Friday: Queen Elinor & Merida 5/31/13


Ahoy there friends! Ready for more fan art? You bet I've got some for ya! Sitting here, feeling really in the mood for Brave fan art, and the conclusion was reached, what is the entire focus of that film? The mother daughter relationship, right? So while most art is just Merida being her awesome self, and being beautiful and flinging arrows into the sunset, there is actually A LOT of truly marvelous Merida and Queen Elinor art out there. So I created a compilation of mother daughter fan art bound to touch the heart of anyone who has seen the movie and truly understands the connection between Merida and her mother. So, pretty much everyone, right?

The first piece shows queen Elinor brushing young Merida's hair. Merida stares admiringly up at her mother. I really adore the expression on both of their faces. To be honest, all of the art pre-Brave is quite touching. Merida, being one of the few Disney Princesses with both of her parents, has shown in her movie that disregarding the wishes of your parents may seem like a brilliant idea at the time, and end up being a total wreck. But all of the fan art, and even the scenes from the movie just show that there was once a time in Merida's life when she was just an sweet little girl who loved her mother and   The-escape-velocity captured that unconditional love.

This next piece, created by Patatat, shows Queen Elinor and a young, sleeping Merida. The style of the art is a huge factor of why this piece got to me. It's realistic style is truly touching and incredibly personal I think. It shows the intimate moments between a mother and her child, the way she holds her, and perhaps the sweet lullabies she is singing to her. The innocence of Merida in this picture is absolutely overpowering, of course, this is obvious throughout the film. But there is no quarrel between the two, and they are simply quiet. Elinor and her sweet, crazy haired princess. Nothing between the two but total love, and that also, is what I feel from this picture.

Finally, we have "Noble Maiden Fair" created by seanchaithe. This picture was based off of the scene from the movie when Queen Elinor sings Merida the lullaby of the same name. My favorite aspect of this lovely piece is how close and cuddly the two are. The small smiles you can see on both of their faces is truly, just as the previous images, shows the pure love they have for one another. The artist portrayed the closeness of the two emotionally with perfect clarity. The simplicity of this artwork is probably what struck me the most. The colors are so perfect, and it is really just a beautiful piece of fan art and has truly earned it's place in my heart. I know all i have done is gush about how much I love Elinor and Merida, but honestly, there is something so very perfect about the two. Very rarely does a princess get a moment with her mother, let alone an entire film, but Brave was really something else. A breakthrough for girls everywhere. Choose your own fate and remember your family, especially your mother, is always there for you. Brave, teaching me more things than "I'm not the only one with insane hair" every time I watch it. If you haven't seen this movie yet, I say you're behind and missing out on a truly beautiful story. So go watch it, and with haste my friend. And even if you HAVE seen it. Go watch it again.

Thats it from me, until next Friday, friends!
-Captain Cay

No comments: